Thursday, September 4, 2008

100th POST! Keep Mira Smiling!

I had no idea that I was nearing my 100th post until just recently. The timing couldn't be better however considering what I know is happening today for a very special little person! I'm dedicating this post to her, I'd like you to meet MIRA! Mira is a sweet, spunky little gal that happens to be a triplet. Her mom, Sheryl, is in one of my yahoo triplet groups and while I have never met them in person- I call them friends! Mira needs a kidney transplant. She is nearing the weight mark she must attain to become active on the list for transplant. But there is so much more needed for that to happen (including finding a match!). Mira's family is working with a group to fund raise money to help with the expenses that come with kidney transplants (they will need close to $100,000). Tonight (Friday) they are having a huge silent auction and dinner fundraiser for their cause, "Keep Mira Smiling". It's the end to their first round of fundraising and at the beginning Sheryl asked our group to help with a project- a triplet project if you will. She purchased a large canvas and art supplies and stuck it in the mail for each of us to have our triplets add their artwork to, making it a traveling triplet art canvas- to auction off at the dinner tonight.
So guess who got the canvas FIRST- yep- us! The canvas arrived the last week of June and it was huge and blank and oh my goodness- the pressure! After many behind the scenes emails, we came up with an idea as a group and i went with it.The canvas has since traveled through 3 more families in CA, as well as families in Nevada, Indiana, Wisconsin, Idaho, Michigan (where 4 families had a gathering and worked on it at once!), and Pennsylvania. We also have a member that lives in South Africa and her family was able to contribute to the canvas as well thanks to technology! Gotta love it.
Sheryl was left in the dark for the greater part of this project and I think the poor woman felt we weren't holding up to the deal. It came close- but the canvas was delivered to her Thursday and she got to see the finished project! It will be auctioned off Friday night at the fundraiser as planned! PHEW! Below are Sheryl and Mira (with one of her triplet brothers) when they received the canvas...
I'm dedicating this 100th post to Mira in hopes of spreading some education about kidney donations/transplants. You can click on the pictures of Mira to be lead to her website with more information or you can simply click HERE. And if you are so inclined and are able to, those will link you to the page to make a donation for Mira. Right now they are just over 50% of their fundraising goal!

If you are interested in signing up to be a potential donor, you can click HERE.


Here is a link to an article that was written about Mira: http://www.wauwatosanow.com/story/index.aspx?id=790574

And here are some pictures of the canvas on its rode to Sheryl and Mira:

California (above and below)

Idaho

Indiana

The great triplet gathering in Michigan





Sheryl and Mira- we are thinking of you tonight and wishing we could be there in person! HUGS!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH wow that a special gift for Mira...You are all angels!!!

Have a great weekend,Leslie

Tanya Siekman said...

Yay! What a wonderful post Chris ... I too am so blessed to get to be a part of Mira's fundraiser.

You know, we don't all have to meet in person to have the bond that we all have with each other .. and the best part is that we all know it's a "forever bond."

Mama Eve said...

PERFECT! Love the words, and the pictures, and the sentiment. Love it all!!!

mom of 5 said...

What a great 100th post!!! You wrote it perfectly! Everytime I see the canvas I get all teary eyed.
Sheri