Rick and I had to make one of the hardest decisions this week. No one wants to make a decision like this, but in our hearts we know it was for the best. We had to say good-bye to our dear sweet dog, Max. Max joined our family when he was just 6 weeks old. He is an Independence Day dog- born on the 4th of July in 1996. He just celebrated his 12th birthday this month. The girls sang to him and tossed "Scoob-i-dy Snacks" to him. Max was our first baby. He was a wonderful dog. He protected us, cuddled with us, comforted us and was a constant in our crazy life. He liked to sit on your feet and would follow me around. The minute I stood still he'd sit and so there I would stay. He loved sleeping on his back (and snored like you wouldn't believe when he did). He detested weed whackers and electric nail guns. It is going to take a lot of adjusting to living life without Max. The girls are not quite getting "it" so we find ourselves talking about it a lot more than we probably would have if they did get it. In a way I think this is good. I've promised the girls they can look at Max's "Puppy Book" in the morning. Here are some pictures I scanned from it.
Just a little pup!
Doing a "Flat Stanley" project with me...
Max loved sticks!
Handsome boy!
Our first "all O'Connor" Christmas - the year Rick and I were married- 1998

Rick and Max scanning the old Lomita neighborhood, watching all the kids.
In front of our peach tree- 2 years ago- he sat the best for the picture of all the "kids"
Our sweet Max, you will be missed!

Max O'Connor: July 4, 1996- July 22, 2008
5 comments:
Oh Christina!! I SOOOOOO understand this. As you have guessed by our prior conversations, we went through several years of wanting but not having children (and I'm assuming by our conversation that you guys did as well). Sometimes people don't understand how much those little canines become our babies when we haven't been blessed with "real" babies yet. Ours was a lab named Tucker. He got cancer while I was pregnant with F and he died (we put him to sleep) when F was 3 months old. It was so hard. Here we are 10 years later and I still miss him. Funny thing - K was born 3 years to the day after Tucker died. I think it was his way of sending us a sign that he is still with us and watching over us. Max will be watching over you guys too!
What a handsome puppy dog he was. They really do become our babies! Those puppy pictures are adorable!
It will always break your heart a little to think about him. You'll be driving down the street and see someone walking a dog that might look like him and your heart will skip a beat, and for a moment you will be taken back in time. You'll want to stop your car and tell the person walking the dog to not take that moment for granted because one day it will all be gone. I can tell you that I truly understand what you are feeling and I am sorry that you and Rick had to make this decision. But really it was out of your hands already. Max is in a happy place now and life is as it needs to be. You were a good mommy to him and now he will be a good doggie angel for you :)
I just want to tell you how sorry I am. He was a beautiful dog!
I loved how Max would sit on our feet and then proceed to "LEAN" on you while we were trying to stay sitting or standing up!!
Post a Comment